Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Irony

Some of you have already read this as an email and for that I apologize.  I wanted to post this because my one faithful reader (you know who you are) hasn't read it yet and I thought I would make sure that he gets a little giggle in today.

The following is meant to be humorous, not depressing.

Last week, I received an email from someone at Gilbert because they wanted to include a little piece in some newsletter about what teachers are doing now since they left Gilbert.  This is what I wrote;

I moved to Montreal, Canada with my husband in August 2010.  It has been hard adjusting to not having family and friends close by but I have been enjoying exploring the city, visiting new places and learning about a different culture.  In my immediate future I am planning on taking French classes.

What I wanted to send was this:

I am currently unemployed in a French speaking provice of Canada.  I am a looser.  Even Wal-Mart won't hire me, I've asked.  I can't bus tables, teach or work with people since I don't speak French (I am bilingual but sadly it Spanish is my second language).  Everyday I get up, sign on to Gmail to see what emails I have waiting.  Three minutes later, after I have answered those, I sign on to Facebook.  I leave these webpages up all day and anxiously await any news from friends back home.  I then proceed to play solitare, hearts, freecell and majong on the computer while watching Gilmore Girls.  At some point during the day I feed the cats, shower, and drink Pepsi.  When I am not feeling too sad and lonely I go out around the city and explore by myself.  I come back home when I get yelled at in French and start crying in public.  I have been to a nude beach, some "mountains" and lots of shops that I can't buy anything in because I am unemployed. 

Ironically, two hours after sending that email I was offered a job at McGill University.  My first day is Monday.  I will be working part-time as a Research Administrator in the English department.  I am pretty excited as the job will entail some event planning and lots of organization.  Also I am having a great week with my sister and Julie.  It is so nice having people here and showing them all of the places I have been and exploring new ones as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, congratulations! Finally we can expect to start getting Canadian trinkets as presents in the mail. Or at least some McGill University swag. How soon can you steal us some pens?

    Also: if ISU's alumni newsletters had pieces like your sob-story version, I would read them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you got a part time job at long last Leah! Congratulations :) I am sorry the adjustment has been hard for you, but always remember to keep perspective and remember that this is a temporary vacation of sorts, and you have the man you love to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having a great week with Angela and Julie. Enjoy your time now before you become a member of the Canadian work force.Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete