Friday, September 3, 2010

My First Date

After many hours of watching t.v. and after coming to the realization that I actually live here I have decided to take some inspiration from one of my favorite t.v. characters, Carrie Bradshaw.  I have decided to date Montreal.  Our first date was Parc Jean-Drapeau and let me tell you as far as dates go, the city let me down.  The weather is still pretty hot so I decided on going to the beach.  I packed my bag and took the metro our to Parc Jean-Drapeau which actually consists of two islands.  I came out of the metro on the first island, Ile Saint Helene.  I walked around for about 45 minutes trying to find the plage (that's beach in French) and couldn't find it.  I did however come upon a very nice aquatic center only to find out that it was closed.  It was open everyday this summer including yesterday and is going to be open everyday for the next two months but was closed today.  It was beautiful and inviting and so hot outside that I almost cried.  On my way walking back to find a map I met a couple and their six year old son.  We all figured out that the beach was on the second island, Ile de Notre Dame.  We all decided to walk over there together.  After about another 45 minutes of walking we finally found the beach and it was completely empty.  I thought it was maybe because it was a Thursday but after stepping into the nice, cold, refreshing water I was yelled at in French to get out of the water and that the beach was closed.  I went to the picnic table to dry my feet and was yelled at in French because everything on the island is apparently closed.  Needless to say I had to walk another 45 minutes back to the first island to catch the metro home.  The silver lining is that my new boyfriend, Montreal, introduced me to a very nice family who suffered through most of my adventure with me.  I am really going to have to pick something great for our second date.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the yelling and everything being closed. Was it a holiday there? Do plage and plague have any common roots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were yelled at in French, were you able to understand what they were saying? Well, you never know what to expect when you are on a blind date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cute idea! I can suggest several blind dates in the Plateau area if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete